LRW001 - Live Recording / Broadcast Workshop
Total Hours: 12 / 6 days
Recording and mixing in a live or concert setting presents its’ own set of unique issues. In this workshop we will look at those issues and get hands-on practice at executing a concert recording. On the first day, after a brief discussion laying out what we will be doing and why, the group will set-up and test everything needed for a concert recording. The second day will be an actual performance that the class must set-up for, record and mix ‘live’.
- The 5 steps: The Build; Line Check; Sound Check; The Show; The Load Out
- There is no “Second Take” when mixing live.
- Preparation and paperwork aren’t fun, but they are absolutely necessary.
- Since concert recordings are a team effort... What are the positions?
Some of the Topics covered:
- Stage Boxes, Splits
- Mults and Crosspatches
- Working with Monitors and Front of House
- Microphone Choices and Placement
- Stage and house levels, (Dealing with leakage and feedback)
- Communications between everyone
- Setting up the control room for a live mix
- Audience Microphones
- Aesthetics of mixing a concert
- Problems to be on the lookout for
- Time Code and Syncing With Video
- Matching your Audio to the Video
All classes and workshops enrollment will be limited to 7 students or less.